Sunday, August 24, 2008

Why is developing effective communication skills important to me?

Developing effective communication skills is important for everyone. This is because Man is not a solitary creature; we are interacting with one another all the time. As a science student, I am often required to work in teams during laboratory classes and project works. Developing effective communication skills helps me to be a good team player by building good relationship with team members. This can be achieved through having good communication with them. Therefore it is essential for me to learn more about interpersonal communication in order to communicate well with my teammates. It is important to be able to work in teams because it allows exchange of ideas and generally increases work efficiency. Therefore it is always a more preferred choice in the real world. For example, many Nobel Prize scientists work in teams to successfully come up with new scientific theories.

On the other hand, conflicts are also common when working in a team because everybody is different. By developing communication techniques, I can resolve conflicts tactfully. Working in a joyful environment can also help to improve work efficiency. Being culture sensitive is another useful skill for me in today’s cosmopolitan society. It allows me to avoid intercultural conflicts and handle intercultural conferences competently.

Besides the above skills, active listening is also extremely important for me especially when I am working in a science laboratory. Instructions given by demonstrators have to be strictly adhered to. This is because any little mistakes made might lead to serious consequences like explosion. Listening actively allows me to avoid making mistakes to achieve accurate experimental results and at the same time ensure the safety of others and myself in the laboratory.

The above are just some more prominent examples as to why I need to develop effective communication skills. Most importantly, being equipped with such skills facilitates my interaction with people everyday.

Posted by audrey at 9:47 PM |  

17 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)